"I believe that living a full and healthy life starts with achieving greater emotional awareness."
I started my career in my early 20s working with youth in residential treatment. What stands out the most when I think back to those years is how good it felt for me to work with youth to develop greater emotional awareness and observe them using more helpful ways of coping with their feelings. I loved it!
However, I felt that working strictly with youth (as opposed to the family unit) had its limitations. Yes, the children benefitted from my work. But did they use these skills once they returned home? How did the parents/caregivers support use of these skills at home? I want my work with people to have a broader impact, so I've recently decided to focus on working with adults. They set the emotional tone of the family. If adults, parents or caregivers are committed to learning and using tools to achieve greater emotional awareness, than that's going to transfer to their children, family, friends and beyond. That's so exciting for me!
EDUCATION & POST-GRADUATE TRAINING:
I am a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW-R), and my academic and training information is as follows:
Syracuse University, MSW, 1998
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy of Depression, Beck Institute, 2016
- Essentials of CBT, Beck Institute, 2016
- Gottman Level I: Bridging the Couple Chasm, The Gottman Institute, 2015
- Discernment Counseling, Doherty Relationship Institute, 2015
- Flexible Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Cigna, 2013
- Extending Narrative Therapy with Maggie Carey, 2008
- Narrative therapy training with Michael White, 2007 & 2005
- week-long intensive narrative therapy training at Evanston Family Therapy Center, Evanston, IL, 2004